[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: >> Subject: First post: Fluorescent lighting

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSun Oct 20 22:15:17 1996
> Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 19:00:35 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: >> Subject: First post: Fluorescent lighting
>
> You wrote:
>
> snip
>
> >The "mini" Tesla coil was fabricated using wirewrap wire.  A number of
> >spiral coils were formed on 2" square pieces of duct tape (to hold the
> >windings together).  One of these coils served as a primary.  10
> >additional coils served as the secondary.  The secondary coils were
> >connected in series (center point connected to the peripheral
> >connection of the next winding), with the peripheral connection of the
> >first secondary winding connected to the periphery of the primary
> >winding.  All of the windings were stacked vertically on top of one
> >another to maximize coupling.  The entire transformer was about 1-1/4
> >inches in diameter and about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in height (duct tape
> >included).  A greater turns ratio could be obtained by using thicker
> >wire on the primary (fewer turns).  I was also able to fabricate a
> >transformer similar to this using printed circuit board material.
> >This model also worked fine, but it burned up when I tried to
> >light 4 - 40 watt lamps at once.  I fabricated this PC board prototype
> >by hand, and had to patch the etch with a silver conductive ink pen,
> >so it was not a very good transformer.  With proper PCB manufacturing
> >processes, this implementation would likely work quite well.
>
> snip
>

> >Phil
> >

> Phil,
>
> What kind of oscillator and driver do you use with your "mini" TC?
>
> RWW

I experimented with two generators:  One a pulse generator (HP) that was
very old, and two, a continuous wave 250 watt RF generator that was
borrowed.  The pulse generator worked, but was not able to get to the
resonant frequency of about 6 MHz.  The RF generator worked great and
could be easily tuned to resonance.  It is the RF generator that was
used to make the measurements of power consumption.

Phil Gantt