[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Qs

Quoting,
"I'm not so sure
that the non-linear nature of the spark gap will ever allow equations
to be developed which give results as pure and instantly usable as the
foregoing equations.  Again, Paschen's equation is fine for fixed smaller
systems in sealed chambers with known gases at known pressures."
	To that I would add the even greater variable of the non-linear
and time varying effect of secondary discharge on the apparent
impedance/Q of the seconday.  I doubt if this can every be treated
analytically, and for that reason it seems to me that calculations
much beyond self-resonant frequency are probably excercises in
futility, however entertaining they may be.
	One exception to the above might be if someone wanted to
develop a very elaborate Monte Carlo simulation of all that is
going on in a coil charge and discharge.  I think the primary
gap could be handled pretty simply, but the secondary discharge
would have to be worked out ion by ion, microsecond by microsecond.
Almost certainly dooable by someone who is both man enough aned
and foolhardy and/or dedicated enough to do it, but hardly worth
the effort unless getting the simulation up and running was
satisfaction in itself.
	By the way, just read a new book called "Dark Sun", which
is written specifically to cover the history of the development
of thermonuclear weapons hear and in Russia.  It is well worth
reading, both for the technical content and also for the exposition
on the extent to which Soviet espionage, targeted to specific labs
and even individuals, helped them avoid many of our mistakes and
use their own (very meager at the beginning) resources to go straight
to successful weapons.  Anyhow, one of the endeavors described is
Monte Carlo simulations run in the early days using desk calculators
(mechanical: Frieden, Marchant, etc) plus many months of time to
work out some of the reactions in explosions.  Those guys had to have
had incredible dedication and determination!!!
Enough of a sermon.
Ed Phillips