[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cap Failure

(Snip)
<<
 Well boys and girls, I believe I know why they blow.  Run out to you
 garage, shop or lab and look closely at the printing on the cap casing.
 Yep, the pvc casing is only rated at 10 kvac.  I may assure you that
 the inner rolls are intimately in contact with the inside of the
 casing.  When I closely examined my casing there were several small
 black carbonized tracks in the casing.  Under magnification they appear
 to be arc tracks through the pvc wall.  As pointed out earlier, these
 caps are sealed with the specifications of a bomb.  And, with our
 resonances and kickback I'm sure the 10 kvac case rating is handily
 exceeded.

Richard,

Most insightful.  I do recall both caps saying 10 kvac case rating.  It would
be interesting to know how all the failed caps were mounted.  I used a wooden
cradle which supported the cap at each end.  It was made from 3/8" plywood
and had two layers of 1/4" foam weatherstripping between the cap and the wood
for cushioning.  Would you expect the case to breakdown and arc to the wood?
 Would that cause the cap to explode?

If this is the cause of the failure, can we remedy this by using an acrylic
cradle for mounting?

Ed Sonderman