[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> > Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> >From sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-comTue Oct  1 21:51:08 1996
> Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 14:50:17 -0700
> From: Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-mail.wwnet-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: Gap Dwell Times (formerly: Beating Solved)
>
> Tesla List wrote:
> >
> Hi Malcolm and all
>
> This is an extremely interesting thread. I am now getting confused.
> Exactly what do you mean when you say that the secondary was fully rung
> up? Is this when you believe that all of the energy is fully transferred
> to the secondary from the primary? If so, how can you tell?
>
> Thanks
>
> Skip

You know your secondary is full when all the electrons you're putting in
overflow the top and start pouring out :-)

Seriously, I think that what that means is that if you were to monitor the
current circulating in the tank circuit, you would see that it looks like
an AM signal.  The "carrier" would be at the resonant frequency and the
amplitude modulation would be due to the energy being transferred back
and forth between the primary and secondary while the gap is conducting.
If you were able to quench the gap at the end of the first AM 1/2 cycle
(i.e. - when the primary current first goes to 0), then the energy
contained in the secondary would be unable to be coupled back into the
primary.

Steve Roys.