[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Arc length vs pwr

Hi all,
        When I first started coiling I used to think these figures
were the thing....

> The TCD Manual graph shows typical Tesla coil spark lengths vs wattage as
> follows:
>
> 500 w/11 in, 1 KW/20 in, 2 KW/32 in, 5 KW/64 in, 10 KW/110 in

I now think these figures are seriously out of date. I have personally
done better than the 2kW figure at 720W and others have done better
still. I think it possible that some of the work I and others are
currently doing is going to show further improvement still.

> In the TCD Manual I guesstimate that the theoretical spark length
> for magnifiers would be up to about 1.5 times the classical coil
> length. However, I have not seen data to indicate this is possible
> when rigid test comparisons are made.

I think you should be looking at lengths for a given k and gap
configuration rather than any particular secondary/tertiary
configuration for a given power level. Other variables are also
relevant - e.g. peak power, PRF....

> Note that the spark lengths shown by the graph can vary greatly
> depending on several factors. For example, spark lengths for the
> same wattage are greater with pole transformers than for neons.

I can see no reason why this should be true. Power is power. What
reason/s support that statement?

> Also, the spark lengths are increased when the Tesla coil primary
> voltage and/or the secondary coil inductance are increased, etc.

I agree with the primary voltage bit but I'd like to see a reason
for the second assertion.

Malcolm

Dan wrote....