[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: IBTCW, Ontario Chapter

>Date:          Tue, 22 Oct 1996 22:25:09 -0600
>From:          Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
>To:            Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
>Subject:       Re: TCBOR Teslathon

>>From sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.eduTue Oct 22 21:33:25 1996
>Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:23:00 EDT
>From: SROYS <sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: TCBOR Teslathon

>> Barry Benson and Steve Roys sort of let the cat out of the bag by
>> posting, but hey, good things can't be kept a secret forever.

>Whoops.  Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

>> Besides, smart money would say start up you own
>> yearly bash!  Steve Roys did!!  He now holds the TCBOM teslathon at his
>> home (payback is hell Steve).  We need more Teslathons!!!

>Reserve your spot NOW!  A mere $50 handling fee will probably
>guarantee you an invite to the second annual Tesla Coil Builders of
>Maryland Teslathon/swimfest/cookout.

>But seriously now...Richard is right.  You don't have to rent a hall
>and have it catered to have your own Teslathon and have some fun.
>Our TCBOM Teslathon consisted of 7 people (the 4 TCBOM members and 3
>ambassadors from the TCBOR group) mainly sitting around, eating dogs
>and burgers, floating in the pool, and talking high voltage.  We had
>a few small Tesla coils running, had a show-and-tell time, and we
>dinked around a little bit - nothing at all like Richard's spark and
>physics phest, but it was fun because it brought like-minded people
>together to exchange thoughts and ideas.  Next year, we'll have even
>more stuff to dink around with, and hopefully a small "for-sale"
>section.  But only time will tell how many people will be there.

>> If you do decide to hold your own Teslathon, it will be great until the
>> list hits 30 people in a few years!  Then it is a tedious effort where
>> you are running around in a daze trying to see to everyone's needs and
>> preparing the next demo, directing traffic to the "head", fetching soda
>> and ice, etc..  Now that a couple of other 'Thons are going, I love to
>> attend them and suck up the other guy's soda, harrass the hell out of him
>> and generally hang around with the intent purpose of doing absolutely
>> nothing except going one on one with my fellow coilers. (something you
>> can't do if you are in charge).

>We're still in the "collecting members" stage, so if anyone in the
>Maryland area is interested in joining our group, drop me some email.
>I live in Carroll County about 30 min north of Baltimore.

>Steve Roys.

>Steven Roys (sroys-at-radiology.ab.umd.edu)

Steve, All,

With the acronym you chose you left yourself wide open,  and this
punster just cannot resist.  Why don't you call your event the
TCBOMathon?  : )

On a more serious note, I have been thinking about establishing
an Ontario coiler's group and providing its home base at my Shelburne
Laboratory.  I've thought of using the name standard (started?) by R.
Hull's group and now apparently adopted by your group.  If I continue
this tradition the Ontario group becomes TCBO or TCBOO.  Not entirely
sure that I'm comfortable with those.  I do rather like The Ontario
Chapter of the  IBTCW, the International Brotherhood of Tesla Coil Winders. : )

Anyone in the Ontario area wanna become a charter member of my little
club of big sparks, and big plans?

Its first Teslathon (or I might call it the Shel-BURN!) will be sometime
next summer, possibly with a weekend of camping, trailers & tentz, music,
catering (come and cook yer'own St. Elmo dogs, I'll throw another megavolt on
the grill) and oh, yeah, Tesla coils!  If it goes this big there will be an admission
donation required (just like a  _real_ event!). Anyone know of a celebrity
lookalike of Al Einstein who works cheep?  Hey, I could probably get
the Canadian Snowbirds to do a formation flyover (well, more likely a
police, or Dept. of Communications helicopter).  I'll bring in the national media.
I'll merchandize!  Might even hire the rock band Tesla?, probably not in budget,
howabout Astro-man?  I'll bring in a film crew and film it for later release as
'Sparkstock'.  Hey, we'll even have portable toilets.

I might be getting just a touch carried away but I'm attempting to
drum up some excitement and interest here! Anyone interested in any aspect
of this please contact me privately off-list.

Robert W. Stephens
Founding President,  IBTCW (?)

Q: How many IBTCW members does it take to watch a Tesla coil run?
A: All of them......You got a PROBLEM with that?!