[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

At 04:25 AM 10/23/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
>From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comTue Oct 22 21:32:09 1996
>Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 09:42:38 -0700
>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>
>Tesla List wrote:
>>
>> >From couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-netMon Oct 21 21:43:07 1996
>> Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 22:27:50 +0000
>> From: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>
>> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>>
>> At 04:25 AM 10/20/96 +0000, you wrote:
>> >From wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-comSat Oct 19 21:28:18 1996
>> >Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 06:59:13 EDT
>> >From: Mark S Graalman <wb8jkr-at-juno-dot-com>
>> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>> >Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>> >

>> > Big snip
>> ---
>> However, in a circuit where the inductance is large compared to the
>> capacitance, like the secondary circuit, I would guess this is a
>> possibility. The Tesla coil system would have to be a DC type that could
>> leave the toroid with a high voltage charge. This could affect the secondary
>> ringing. I have never heard of anyone checking for this kind of charge or
>> even if it is possible. I do know that on AC systems when they are turned
>> off there is somtimes a charge left on the outside of the secondary coil.
>> Another experiment for the big coil researchers. What do you think, R.Hull
>> and R.Quick?
>>
>> Jack C.
>
>Jack,
>
>The reamining charge on a tesla coilis purely electrostatic in nature and
>relates to the ion charging effect of the Tesla coil. (and a number of
>more subtle influences)
>
>The Tesla coil is a charge pump, and sourcer of electrons.  A large
>number of experiments over the years here in Richmond have shown this to
>be the case for sure.  We have used electrometers to verify the charge
>type and quantity of charge transfered over a number of ranges.
>
>The Tesla coil, whether AC powered or DC powered, is about as
>electrostatic in nature as it is electrodynamic!  Modes of operation can
>be selected which favor the various forms of output by experienced hands.
>
>We have powered DC Electrostatic motors and even large capacitor motors
>(200gram rotor) by collecting the DC charge from a running 15 watt AC
>powered Tesla coil.  The collected charge is pure DC electrostatic
>potential and no rectification of the normal form is taking place.  i.e.
>No thermionic or field emission (mean free path is virtually zero for
>electrons in air.)  We are collecting power from as far away as 1 meter.
>
>Richard Hull, TCBOR

Richard -

Did your electrometer show an unusually high charge that was left on the
toroid after it was shut down, say about 200 KV on a small coil? In my TCC
Guide I show how this could be checked without discharging the toroid but
your electrometer method would be better. How did you calibrate the
electrometer to read the high voltages at a distance? I have never done this
but I understand that others have.

Jack C.