[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CP cap explosion analysis

I received a call from Condenser Products concerning the capacitor from
the group buy that had exploded in service.  They confirmed that it was a
manufacturing defect and will replace my unit as soon as a new one can be built
(about 6 weeks).

As can be seen from the photographs that I published on the WWW, there are four
rolled sections within the cap.  According to CP, one of the sections had
shorted internally, causing the casing to burst.  Two of the other sections had
what the engineer called "high IR", which he interpreted to mean unacceptably
high leakage.  The implication seemed to be that there was a problem with
either the construction or dielectric material which caused this condition.
The fourth section was OK.

He said that he would contact Scott Myers, who coordinated the original
purchase, to discuss the situation with the remaining units.

Regards,

Don Froula