[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Fever

Hi Steven,

<smoe snip>
> coil, HEH HEH. Most of the coil build programs start out by saying pick a
> frequency that you want and then you build the coil around that starting
> point. How the H do I know what frequency I want? What about 500KHZ, sound
> OK? I already have a wound coil of 4 inch PVC wound 28 inches with #22. What
> would be the advantage of 500KHZ over 300KHZ,   ANY?   Stephen Sanders.

In short, no. I say go for the lowest frequency you can. I've
previously outlined my reasons (and those of others) why this is the
most desirable approach. Briefly: the latitude in primary
configurations you can use (particularly high surge impedances),
reduction in dielectric losses in the caps and more effective copper
use, particularly in the primary system where every effort should be
made to minimize losses. The currents are _far_ higher in the tank
than the secondary and all losses scale according to some power of
current. They also scale according to frequency in both skin effect
and parasitic coupling to other objects. I'm currently putting my
money where my mouth is (around $200 for my new resonator).

Malcolm