[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Carnegie Science Center

Anyone of you experienced coilers ever get to Pittsburgh?

On the 4th floor of the Carnegie Science Center they have a ~10'
coil built in 1911 by a student at Carnegie Tech (now CMU).

I was there last week & hung around till they fired it up.

It was pathetically out of tune.

The "discharger" was a ~8-10" brass ball with 2 4-6" spikes on
the opposite sides.  All it could do was throw 2-3' purple streamers.
It's inside a big steel cage, and 8' arcs would be perfectly safe.

It really needs some expert help.

I know the director of the planetarium (Martin Ratcliffe), and if
you tell him I sent you, it might help get you access.

      Loren Carpenter     |      Imagination is the true ground of being.
      loren-at-pixar-dot-com     |