[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tank frequency

    [The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

> From: Tesla List <tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>
> To: Tesla-list-subscribers-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Tank frequency
> Date: Wednesday, October 09, 1996 12:25 AM
> >From DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-comTue Oct  8 21:57:34 1996
> Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 10:24:12 -0400
> From: DavidF4797-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Tank frequency

> Second, I have heard the term "tank circuit" used to describe an LC
circuit
> for years and have never found anyone who knew what "tank" orriginally
> referred to or why the circuit was blessed with this name...... it has
been
> suggested that the orriginal reference may be lost in antiquity.  Any
> guesses?

Dave,

It is my guess that "tank" refers to a fixed volume of electrons at a given
elasticity. The oscillations of the LC circuit attain resonance relative to
the size of the tank. (tank=inductance x capacitance)

Think of a well-tuned speaker cabinet; the speaker cabinet becomes the tank
in which the resonance occurs. The size of the speaker cabinet tank would
be calculated by the volume of the cabinet (capacitance) times the air
resistance/elasticity (inductance.)

I am guessing that If we know the value of the tank, we can determine its
resonant frequency.

I would be interested in learning the formula for determining the resonant
frequency of a given tank circuit. Any mathematicians out there?