[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> Modern bottles are made of plastic. Anyone know the breakdown voltage of the
> modern bottle? Can it be used in the same way, giving us a lot less chance
> of harm if it does go bang! It can also give the variable capacitance if it
> works.

	3 liter coke bottles have a breakdown of approximately 7 kV, I
would guess. My experience with them was interesting. Just before they
break down, you get a plasma globe like display inside the bottle, through
the top layer of oil and the water.
	I also played around with 5 gallon plastic buckets. They worked,
but only marginally.
	Then I got sick of screwing around with them and bought a
commercial cap. Instantly went from 5" feeble sparks to nearly 20".

Stan Harle