[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Rotary Refresher

Tesla List wrote:

> >From gcerny-at-megspo.megsinet-dot-netFri Sep 13 22:27:01 1996
> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:24:36 +0000
> From: Glenn <gcerny-at-megspo.megsinet-dot-net>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Rotary Refresher
>
> Indoor activities have begun to resume as the cooler
> weather has moved in.  My rotary now spins in
> its bearings with 12 thoriated tungsten points
> via the Carter 10,000 rpm belt drive (a pic or two
> will appear in the near future).  My burning
> question is how many vacume gaps should
> I run with this setup to start?  How can you
> tell if there are enough vacume gaps or too many
> and is max spark off the torroid still the proper
> way to tune, or are there signs to watch for in
> the way the primary circuit acts other than the
> obvious kick back?  Can I expect "rough spots"
> in the way the circuits act as I vary rotary speed?
>
> Thanks again for the fountain of knowledge this
> group provides.
>
> Glenn

Gleen,

As few as one vacuum gap can be used.  I assume you are talking about the
 vacuum box types where a fan sucks cooling air past the gaps creating
negative pressure within the plenum box.  On Nemesis, I prefered to run
my roary points dangerously close inorder to allow for about 5-6 vacuum
quencher gaps.  Longest spark is always the best way to tune a really big
coil system.

Neon sign transformer based systems should be run a little below maximum
to prolong the life of the inherently weak transformer.

Rotary speed variations will affect your spark output, but shouldn't
cause any sputtering or jumpy operation.  If it does, short out the
quencher gaps one at a time until stable operation over a wide range of
motor speed settings returns.

Richard Hull,TCBOR