[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 3MV/meter

Tesla List wrote:

> >From leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comSat Sep 28 10:14:27 1996
> Date: Thu, 28 Sep 1995 00:10:08 +0000
> From: "G.E. Leyh" <leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 3MV/meter
>

> This is a very good test for demonstrating the 'single shot' capability of
> a TC.  It is also proof that a coil does not bridge its full striking range
> on the first shot, but instead must build up the arc from a relatively small
> beginning.
>
> Regarding the breakdown voltage, it seems that the air will only hold off
> roughly 800kV/m in this corner of the world using finite sized electrodes.
> It's often useful to calibrate your test gap with a known high voltage rather
> than rely solely on textbook values.
>
> -GL
>
> world using finite sized electrodes

Greg,

The 3MV/per meter figure was gleaned from a text book on electrostatics!
 Those guys are dreaming and so was DC Cox.  I thought the 3MV would
raise some hackles.  I have always opted to 1MV/ meter in air (DC), but
it is nice to know you have noted an even lower value.  I will amend my
own work and thoughts accordingly.

Richard Hull, TCBOR