[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Light Bulb Experiment (ala Brent Turner)

[snip]
<SNIP AGAIN>

>> What does everyone/anyone think?
>>
>> regards, rwstephens
>
>I agree, sort of... except that I would think LESS current would be
>drawn if I was being pulled off 60 Hz resonance. I think I've got series
>resonance between the transformer inductance and the primary cap, which
>should make the current decrease once I get off the resonance peak. It
>sure does look like, whatever is happening, the secomdary
>tune/efficiency is dropping under heavy arcover. I'm still mystified by
>what's going on...
>
>-- Bert --

Bert and All,

	Incandescent light bulbs are great go/nogo indicators. But,
don't ever try to use them as linear current/voltage indicators. Some
where I have the life and light output curves vs voltage in curves for
a lamp, but I can't find it now;(

Old memory here: A 5% increase in input voltage above a lamps design
voltage increases it's output by 20% and decreases it's life by a
factor of 10! The corollary is also true: decrease it's input voltage
and it's life goes up dramatically and it's brilliance falls
exponentially. Sorry, I don't have hard numbers here.

The net effect of this Temperature Coefficient is: don't try to use
them outside of +-10% of their design voltage.

	jim

p.s. it pains me to send a 'soft' data post when I KNOW I have the
data somewhere;(