[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: EMP cabinet/aquisitions philosophy

On Fri, 27 Sep 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> > throwing them away, and go THERE.  Trouble I often run into though is
> > that many of the goodies I need, scientific and electrical surplus,
> > are often laiden with copper and aluminum.  You end up in a bidding
> > war with scrap metal dealers who just want to melt the stuff down for
> > the cash value of the metals. This makes me want to cry because it is

And that's not the only problem - some labs have the policy that they
won't resell/give their equipment because it would actually cost them MORE
than just sell the equipment to scrap dealers for nothing. Another reason
is that they have to think about the legal aspects with potentially
lethal/dangerous apparatus..

btw: there are exceptions.. Some university in the US was donating
an old 4 MeV particle accelerator some time ago - damn, had it been in
Europe and.. :) I don't know if anyone has got it yet - it requires
large storage-house and weights a LOT.. The add is somewhere on
the net - I found it with altawista..

> > such a waste of equipment that could instead be helping unfunded
> > researchers like us discover the mysteries of the universe. This is
> > my grass roots solution to 'Big labs, big money, big waste'!!!

The only real solution would be an organization that would take old
equipment for free and then borrow/give them to scientists for
projects.. I think for example SAS does have this policy which is
imho great.

> > In a similar vein, how many coilers out there are dedicated enough to that
> > enormous coil project someday that if they located a perfect One
> > Megawatt generator and pad step up transformer somewhere for a dollar
> > on say the back side of the moon (figuratively speaking), would they relocate
> > their life to go to it and use it in situ?
> I can safely say that there are probably between ZIP and maybe one of
> the coilers who would cast off their daily mantle to hermitize and risk
> their future on such an endevor!!  The world has few inspired dreamers,
> but many worker bees. (as it should be)  R. Hull

I'd strongly disagree!! It requires a certain (not so small) amount of
that "dreamer"-trait to start building apparatus making "lightnings",
acquiring polepigs etc. etc.. Given the chance I'd guess many of us would
move to live with the perfect tesla power-source.. Of course, it's always
a tradeoff between "normal" life (families etc.) and doing what one really
will.. Like Robert mentions, most of us combine "life" and "hobbies".. :)

> > As for me, I'm out looking now for that big generator and pad transformer,
> > but just a 250 kilowatt to 1/2 Megawatt size.  One I can hope to move :).

IMHO generators of that size are not too expensive - for example
250kW, Volvo 12l engine, 48000FIM = about 10000USD..
200kW, Detroit V 12 500hv, 35000FIM = about 7200USD..
and I think Russian army-surplus generators would be much cheaper..