[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

<< Ed, All

 I have followed this thread a bit and will note that there is no limit to
 the coupling of coils beyond a physical limit other than the ability of
 the coiler to control quench time!  The faster the quench the tighter the
 coupling allowed.  Too fast a quench, however, causes the power to fall
 off.  Quench time is the factor that causes most coilers, as they move up
 in power, to have to decouple a bit.  They keep the same gap and
 therefore the same quench time.  Often a new gap or complete rethink is
 required to take full advantage of the increased power.

 Richard Hull, TCBOR >>

Richard,

You have commented several times on this subject.  How do you control the
quench time?  I use a rotary gap with one set of fixed tungsten electrodes
and 16 stainless steel electrodes.  Speed is variable but it usually runs
about 3,000 RPM (best guess) which would provide about 800 breaks per second.
 This gap is operated in series with a cylindrical static gap ( seven 1.5"
dia copper pipe sections)  which is electrically folded in half - i.e. three
.028" gaps in parallel with three more.

I arrived at this configuration by testing every combination as components
were added or modified.  Does this gap sound like it should perform well at
these power levels?

Ed Sonderman