[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: earth resonance

Richard:
	Something sounds wacky to me there.  The "beats" between the
two frequencies close together relate to the amplitude of the ENVELOPE
of the composite signal, but there is no low frequency component unless
there is mixing in some nonlinear medium.  That would, of course, be
quite lossy.
	Just for kicks I went through a simplified paper design of two
coils designed to resonate at 8 Hz and 16 Hz.  Each was 100 feet in
diameter and 200 feet high, with a 100 foot diameter sphere (capacitance
in free space about 1650 uufd) on top.  Here is what came out:
	8 Hz coil:
	Turns 99586
	Wire size #23 B&S
	Total wire length 31,285,577 feet
	Wire weight 48,962 pounds
	Total DC resistance 636,974 ohms
	Inductance 121,435 henries
	Total capacitance 3159 uufd
	Q 9.73
	16 Hz coil:
	Turns 50,955
	Wire size #17 B&S
	Total wire length 16,008,120 feet
	Total wire weight 100,451 pounds
	Total DC resistance 81,065 ohms
	Inductance 31,793 henries
	Total capacitance 3159 uufd
	Q 39.1
This is all nonsense, of course, but I think the numbers are quite
close to what would really happen if someone went bongo!!!
	These calculations are simplified, using Wheeler's and
Medhurst's approximation for inductance and distributed capacitance,
but I have found they give results which match coils I have built to
within a percent or so, which is probably fortuitious coincidence.
Ed