[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

Tesla List wrote:

> >From jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-comSat Sep  7 15:22:40 1996
> Date: Sat, 07 Sep 1996 05:58:25 GMT
> From: Jim Fosse <jim.fosse-at-bdt-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging
>
> >From: Chuck Curran <ccurran-at-execpc-dot-com>
> >To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> >Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging
> >  I video taped two runs and I'm generally pleased with
> >the progress.
> Stills on the net??? ;)
>
> > The stationary gap is suffering at this point.  I built
> >it with the gaps "close" to .028" each but now they vary from .014" to
> >.041".  I used 3" lengths of 1.5" O.D. copper couplings not tube.  They
> >have apparently stress relieved themselves with the heat and now have a
> >changed shape.  They were both bolted and epoxied into position in the
> >PVC tube.  I'm in the process of starting a new stationa gap system with
> >a vacuum cleaner motor.  More later, thanks for the feedback.
> >
> I find this interesting. I built my stationary gap with 1" Cu tube
> sections bolted but not epoxied in place. It has always been
> blown/cooled. I gap it to 0.030" and then, later, find that they have
> moved;) Some are shorted, some as much as 0.060" apart. I figured that
> this was due to not epoxying them in place. It has happened enough
> times that I do not beleive it is stress relief any more.
>
>         jim

Hello Jim:

	Thanks for posting your experience with this problem--I felt I'd used
acceptable construction "quality" and I was surpised at this event.  I
am glad to see others have had similar results, but sorry it caused you
a problem too!  My stationary is also using a Rotron type Muffin fan to
cool and vent it.
	One point I wasn't clear on--did you regap your system after finding
the change, then run it again finding the gap size kept changing?  I am
wondering if things would be more stable if solid brass rod or stainless
steel would be used.  Our scrap luggers at work would provide material,
so I think that might be a reasonable next effort to replace my
stationary with a new one using solid pieces.  Any comments, as always
are apreciated.

Chuck Curran