[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 100 kva coil

Tesla List wrote:

> >From hullr-at-whitlock-dot-comWed Sep 18 23:52:49 1996
> Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 09:26:03 -0700
> From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: 100 kva coil

<<SNIP>>

> > For your information, that coil was built by Bill Wysock...
> >
> > There has been discussion in the group here that a coil
> > of that size and power should really be cranking out some
> > hellatious sparks!
> >
> > - Brent
>
> Brent,
>
> Yeah, the coils both the 100KVA job and the proposed 500KVA job should be
> real performers, but we can't really say what they should be doing
> without being there.  I opt for sparks vastly shorter than most of us
> would think for such systems.  To my knowledge only Bob Golka and Bill
> Wysock have played around over 100KVA.

BT: I saw a few photos on it, all from ITS publications.
I know Bill personally, but never got to witness this particular coil. I *did*
get to assist in the creation and firing of his twin-coil system some years
back (got a whole bunch of pic's from Bill's famous back yard during the frantic
preparation for the 1992 ITS symposium...), and *that* coil was impressive!

>From what I have heard, the coil in question definately needed improvement and
design changes. The rotary gap REALLY needs lots of improvement. From the way
it was described to me, the dwell is too long, and the quenching stinks.

<<SNIP>>

> I'll be real curious to know what the best that Wysock can do as his
> system is refined and at what actual KVA level these longest hits are
> made.  Naturally, a video taped segment with a hit and a walked off tape
> measuring would be the ultimate proof.  This is the way we here at the
> TCBOR do it.  Words come easy and sparks grow with each telling of the
> tale. but video and photographic evidence made at the time of longest arc
> are irrefutable.  I believe that the center line of his 8 foot by 3 foot
> toroid is mounted about 20' off the ground.  This should mean about a 46
> foot limit on sparks.
>
> Richard Hull, TCBOR

BT: Can't say as to what Bill has been up to lately, as I haven't heard boo
from him. I do agree that it would be better to have good, solid documentation
on the performance, but Bill has always been a bit shy on making documentation
available.

Hmmmmm. Now what if he put the toroid up on a 130-foot pole????

- Brent