[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Infinite Q almost

>From: Richard Hull <hullr-at-whitlock-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Infinite Q almost

pre.script: Your addendum post arrived before this original;)
	(chip, did you get overloaded this weekend?) Chip answered my
question whilst I was writing it. Message 30 or 40 for tonight came
in!

[snip]

>  I did away with the primary tank circuit and just
>used a DC 15KV supply with the positive lead to a spark gap and negative
>to ground.  The other side of the gap went to a resonator which could
>have its terminal loading altered dramatically.  The system, when in
>operation, drew and averaged DC current from the supply of .1-.5 ua!!!
>(1.5-7.5 milliwatts.)  The spark in the 1mm gap inaudible and invisible
>in normal room light

[snip]

I just spent 2 hours in the garage playing with this and several veri
ants.

I've only a 1.5kV -at- 5mA DC supply (others that are up to 45kV are all
switch mode. to much RFI for good measurement). I gaped a spark plug
down to fire at this voltage. connected it in series between the
negative power supply lead (+ = case) and then to my TC's lower
secondary connection. I connected the case of the power supply to my
earth ground. The TC secondary was terminated with my 3" by 27"
toroid.

I rigged an antenna into my TEK 465 scope: 3' clip lead ~6' from my
toroid. At power up I saw 1 big RF spike (10V scale) and then nothing.
My toroid will not break down at 1.5kV;) (good news) I tried various
methods to generate a corona point from my toroid including a medical
"lance" about 4" connected but away from the toroid. I still could not
see any RF above ambient. I approached my toroid with  my ground
discharge rod until breakdown occurred. 1/10"? The scope picked up
about 50 volts RF, but I was to far away to get an accurate reading.

I then added a 75 Mohm resistor from the gap/resonator junction to
ground. This caused the spark gap(plug) to break down and generate a
repetitive oscillation that I could measure. 2 volts RF on a 40V
negative exponentially decaying waveform of 6ms period. (The RF had a
6us period) I could not determine the end of the RF oscillations, they
were lost in the 60Hz and 810kHz ambient.

I also tried a 4' fluorescent light as a gap. It lit, but I could not
see any RF above the ambient.

Good experiment.

jim