[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging

On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, Tesla List wrote:

> From: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>

> noticed that the physical size of these things don't seem to correlate
> very well with the KVA rating. My wife complains that I keep on looking

Do notice that most of the pigs you see at poles are 3-phased while
yours (and mine) is single phased..

> interesting thought. After getting my pig (a 10 KVA, 19.9 KV ani
> stands 44" high including the 11" HV bushings and weighs 350 lb.
> I sure would think that a 25 KVA transformer would have MUCH more iron
> in it than a 10 KVA. I also would also have thought a 75 KVA transformer

Well.. That 350 lbs = about 180kg is about exactly the weight of
my pig which is 20kV at 7kVA..

> one I have. It now makes me wonder if I should have spec'ed a larger KVA
> rating since it seems that the cost, size, and weight is about the same,
> and TC performance MAY be more stable. Maybe I really have a 25 in
> disguise(?)!

You'd need to take an x-ray picture of the pig.. That way you'd see
what's inside and how much oil there really is vs. iron..

btw: my portable :) TC-powersupply is progressing.. Recently I acquired a
diesel-engine to run the 10kVA generator I already had..  Soon I'll be
free from the mains! This way I can get some calculations done too as the
generator specs are available or measurable..

I hope this helps,

  Kristian Ukkonen.