[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Paper Capacitors

Tesla List wrote:

> >From julian-at-kbss.bt.co.ukMon Sep  2 22:05:43 1996
> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 96 17:06:19 BST
> From: Julian Green <julian-at-kbss.bt.co.uk>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Paper Capacitors
>
> Tesla used salt water caps, and would have used poly foil caps if
> poly existed back then.  But he did have paper and oil.   So why
> didn't he?
>
> What is wrong with paper/oil caps, and why don't we make them?
>
> Paper has a higher melting point than poly and would therefore be more
> robust to failure.
>
> I havn't made a paper cap yet, but before I do I would like to ask.
>
> Thank You
> Julian Green.

Julian,

Paper caps were the original best energy storage capacitor for pulse
work.  They work OK, but they are about two orders of magnitude mor
elossey than the best materials today.  Tesla did not have acess to the
proper types of thin film foils that we now have.  Good glass (soda type)
is a bit more efficienct in the RF spectrum than paper, so Tesla used
glass.  Paper and foil of his period would have been too big to use in
Colorado and no one was making them.  Tesla wanted a servicable cap as he
knew he would be destroying what ever he used with no replacable paper
units on hand.  Bottles, he could get by the hundreds (and did).

Richard Hull,  TCBOR