[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

Tesla List wrote:

> >From Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-comFri Aug 30 21:57:13 1996
> Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 17:35:30 -0400
> From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Re: More Tuning/Debugging -- Success!

> <<
>  Hello All:
>
>         First a Thank You to Malcom and Jim for their thoughts on likely areas
>  to look for my system problem.  I believe I have located the "BUG", it
>  was the rotary gap.  One of the two pillow blocks supporting the main
>  shaft had never been fully tightened during the original assembly.  They
>  came looser and created a significant problem.  Yea, dumb as a bag of
>  rocks is an acceptable comment!  Knocked the Lovejoy shaft coupling back
>  about 3/8" along the motor shaft.  The good news is no real damage was
>  done, except for needing a total realignment.  That is now done and I'm
>  in the re-assembly stage of activity.
>         My original spark output was not real good, when power input is
>  considered.  After putting in the new analog meters I beleive that I had
>  about 4000 watts in and about a 6 foot spark out max .  I examined my
>  primary/secondary coil placement visually and the first or lowest
>  secondary turn is exactly even with the extreme top of the primary
>  copper tube.  I never had even a hint of an arc from anywhere along the
>  secondary to anything else.  I feel I could afford to raise the primary
>  for a small increase in coupling, without smoke occurring!.  I designed
>  the primary so that I can raise it with nylon spacers.  My first thought
>  was to fire things up again and verify I'm back to where I was with the
>  repaired rotary, then raise the primary 1/2" for some more coupling.
>         I would appreciate any comments on where others have found the primary
>  secondary coupling point to work out the best,relative to the bottom of
>  the secondary.  How far up?  I realize every system will be
>  significantly different, but comments would still be of interest.
>  Thanks in advance for any comments
>
>  Chuck
>   >>

> Chuck,
>
> I have a 6" secondary with a primary wound at 30 degree inclination with 3/8"
> copper tubing.  I started with the lowest secondary winding about even with
> the lowest or first primary winding.  At lower power levels this was ok.  As
> I increased power, I had to back off on the coupling and now have raised the
> secondary up about 5 or 6 inches.
>
> Ed Sonderman

Ed, All

I have followed this thread a bit and will note that there is no limit to
the coupling of coils beyond a physical limit other than the ability of
the coiler to control quench time!  The faster the quench the tighter the
coupling allowed.  Too fast a quench, however, causes the power to fall
off.  Quench time is the factor that causes most coilers, as they move up
in power, to have to decouple a bit.  They keep the same gap and
therefore the same quench time.  Often a new gap or complete rethink is
required to take full advantage of the increased power.

Richard Hull, TCBOR