[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arc length vs pwr

At 04:25 AM 9/5/96 +0000, you wrote:
>From leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comWed Sep  4 22:18:28 1996
>Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 12:13:49 +0000
>From: "G.E. Leyh" <leyh-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
>To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
>Subject: Re: Arc length vs pwr
>

>Test results from magnifiers or hybrid coils would also be very useful, as the
>object of this study is purely the relation between applied power, arc length,
>and pulse repetition rate.  I would also like to correlate the results with
>the characteristic impedance of the output coil on whatever system used, which
>is why I am requesting the additional info on Lsec or Lter, as the case may be.
>
>Thannks, Greg

Hi Greg -

 I would be interested in your results when they are available.
 Several years ago I went thru this process and published a graph in the
Tesla Coil Design Manual. The graph was made from data I had collected from
over three dozen coils built by myself and other coilers. The data was
converted by math regression into equations that could be made into graphs
and used by a computer.

I ran into difficulties because I found that coilers were using many
different methods to measure spark length and power. There were no
standards. I showed a drawing in the TCDM to standardize the spark length
measurement. However, the power measurement was a problem. As you know the
true power is confused by volt amps, watts, RMS, Instantaneous, power
factor, etc. Coilers have never agreed on standards for this parameter.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Jack Couture