[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Gap Losses

Tesla List wrote:

> >From rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-comTue Sep 24 22:21:55 1996
> Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:18:51 -0700
> From: Richard Wayne Wall <rwall-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com>
> To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> Subject: Gap Losses
>
> 9/24/96
>
> Has anyone ever experimentally measured gap losses?  Where and in what
> form is this energy lost from the primary circuit?  Is this energy
> merely heat, light and other forms of EM energy?  Can it be measured
> and analysed or is it merely assumed to be the difference between
> energy input into the tank circuit minus energy coupled to the
> secondary coil?
>
> RWW

RWW,

I have measured gap losses in a number of pulsed circuits.  It is
especially hairy in a Tesla cicuit.

  The only way to absolutely determine the gap losses (which vary wildly
with time) is to place a Pearson or Rogowski current transformer in the
primary tank and then measure the voltage across the gap while it is
firing.  This is then integrated with the current waveform over time and
this requires a DSO with math functions. To make this measurement any
other way is just Tom foolery.  It would be virtually impossible, and far
to tedious to measure and then sum all the other losses in the system and
then subtract from power input.  The only way for accurate data is to go
right to the horse's mouth.

Let me assure you that virtually all energy consumed by a Tesla coil is
involved in gap losses. (typically 75%)  It is virtually 100% heat.
There are radiations from the audible 400hz to the ultraviolet end of the
spectrum.  This heavy loss situation is espcially the case with casually
assembled gaps of beginnners.  The only way to reduce these losses is to
couple up tighter which then requires a still better gap.  Only tighter
coupling will put more energy into the resonator or secondary of a spark
gap operated system with a given gap.  Improving the gap itself is the
second best method of improving performance.  I have seen a poor gap
replaced by a perfect gap recover only about 20% of this wasted power.

Richard Hull, TCBOR