[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ground rods

Quoting Brad McPeak <bmcpeak-at-gte-dot-net>:

> I have a few questions about grounding. I have access to 8ft.
> sections of Stainless Steel Tubing (free) would this work for
> ground rods. I know Copper (not free) is best.

Stainless steel is an excellent choice. You can't get any
grounding rods cheaper than free, so get a few.

> Also I was going to put them under my covered deck to keep them
> out of the way, but the earth is dry under there, would it be
> better to put them somewhere wetter?

Low and wet works best. I have tried the under the deck thing
before and abandoned the effort when I realized I would have to
dig a hole just to get started. There was no way to stand an 8
foot rod up and still have room to swing a hammer on top.

> And last does anyone know of a mail order source for Tungsten
> TIG points or rod? I called a few welding supply places in the
> Dallas area and they didnt know what I was talking about?

Tungsten face on steel slug spark gap electrodes... The Miller
(welding supplies/parts) part numbers are:

095 621 base       $3.50     porcelain, each one holds 2 gaps
020 622 point holder $8.52   Al, 4/base, cooling fins all around
020 603 HF point   $3.25     steel slug w/ tungsten face, 4/base
Prices are for each piece, avail as an assembly.
<Tip from Mark Napier>

Richard Quick

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12