[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Greg Leyh's big coil

  Date:
        Wed, 2 Apr 1997 05:13:22 -0600 (CST)
  From:
        Bert Pool <bertpool-at-flash-dot-net>
    To:
        Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

At 04:31 AM 4/1/97 -0600, you wrote:
>        Re: Greg Leyh's big coil
>  Date:
>        Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:00:14 -0700
>  From:
>        "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
>    To:
>        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>

>Hi Bert:
>
>Do you recall what the primary capacitance was on Greg's big coil?
>Also,
>if known, what size and type HV terminal atop the sec. coil did he use.
>Thanks for the data.
>
>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Greg said the capacitance was 0.14 ufd (50 kv pulse caps).  When I get
my
photo's back from processing, I'll be able to double-check my memory.
The
terminal is a toroid make from an open framework of aluminum tubes,
about 48
inches in diameter, and 8 inch cross section.  Wild Bill and I (and
Richard
Hull) all believe this coil's performance would be greatly enhanced by
doubling or tripling the toroid size and putting a many-turn primary on
the
coil.  Greg does not think so.  Since Greg _has_ successfully built a 30
kw
coil, and I have not, I humbly kept my mouth shutand deferred to his
experience.  You shouldn't spit into the wind, tug on Superman's cape,
or
tell someone who can make 30 foot sparks how to do it right when you
have
not yet gone past 90 inches (this pup knows his place in the heirarchy
of
the pack).

In desperation, Bert hastily built a Tesla coil out of parts torn from a
toaster, a microwave oven, and his wife's hair dryer. . .

Bert Pool
bertpool-at-flash-dot-net