[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Twintastic first light

Subject:
        Twintastic first light
  Date:
        Thu, 3 Apr 1997 14:34:52 -0500
  From:
        "Robert W. Stephens" <rwstephens-at-headwaters-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

All,

A while ago I mentioned that I was building a compact tandem Tesla
coil system (my first).  Several weeks ago on a very wet/foggy saturday
nite I had it sufficiently finished to put power to it for low power
testing
up to about 3 kVA.

Fellow list members Jeffrey Wiggins and special long distance guest
Kevin Conkey were in attendance for this exciting session of first
light.  The coil absolutely refused to connect streamers between
towers at first.  This was a puzzle to me because I was *sure* I had
calculated the handedness and thus the phasing of all the coils
correctly before winding them.  It seemed the more power I threw at
the system, the more the streamers ignored each other in the common
volume between towers.  Just for fun I reversed the drive connections
to one of the primaries.  Bingo!  Now we were cooking.  I had in fact
figured my handedness correctly, but has erred in the way I hooked
the two primaries in series in the temporary lashup all over the lab
floor.

The secondaries are each 36 inch wound length of #18 AWG
Polythermaleze copper magnet wire wound on 10.5 inch diameter,
5/16ths inch walled PVC pipe.  The secondaries are of identical wind and
each measure 50 mH.  The prmaries are opposites, mirror images of each
other employing 7 turns each of 5/16th inch soft copper refrigeration
tubing in flat spirals.  The secondaries are embedded about a full
inch into the flat spirals yielding a measured K factor of 0.18.
With the new, large 10 inch cross section x 35 inch toroidal toploads
the
system tunes about 100 kHz at about 5 turns on each primary.  System
cap is a 0.05 mfd.

For first light only 1/2 of the center tapped secondary, 9 kV worth
of my 4.5 kVA oil filled transformer was used to limit the voltage to
the 35,000 VDC rated pulse cap.  A safety gap was placed across this
cap with a gap setting of 1.125 inches.  It fired often during some
of the tests approaching 3 kVA.  Small toploads were installed being
stacked
25 inch by 3 inch smooth commercial rings spaced about 8 inches apart
thus
creating a larger 'phantom' terminal.  My larger toroids planned for
the system had not yet been fabricated and I was eager to plug the
sucker in! : )

With a heavy fog swirling airborn water droplets outside the lab and
relatively high humidity in the lab the system was powered up after a
quick instrument tune employing about 3.5 turns on each primary.
Jeffrey assisted with a few low powered runs into bleeder points
while we moved the primary taps around a bit attempting to find the
*sweet spot*.  Once found, merely 2500 VA
input was making tremendous solid connecting streamers between the
towers with a distance of 7 feet 9 inches between terminals, and no
bleeder points.  This is a witnessed accomplishment also recorded on
videotape by Kevin C.  This is my best power/distance Tesla coil
achiement to
date!

Since then I've finished the new bigger toploads and with a higher
voltage capacitor have been able to wire in the full 18000 volts of
the transformer.  Now at 7500 VA I am making a great show with the
terminals spaced at 132 inches (yes 11 feet), all underneath a 10 ft
4 in metal ceiling.  This successful, exciting twin system is going on
permanent display in the 72 seat electricity theatre I'm now building at
home.

Check this out for yourself, two jpegs of 7.5 kVA operation at 132 inch
terminal spacing are attached.  twin1rws.jpg is with smooth terminals.
twin2rws.jpg is with very tiny pieces of adhesive aluminum foil tape
stuck to the terminals with a corner lifted about 1/8th of an inch,
just enough to help concentrate the streamers towards the opposite
tower.  Although these pictures were taken with very low humidity in
the lab, a condition which I consistently find gives me LESS
performance per VA, some of the photos from the session show
streamers from each tower reaching out as far as 8 feet to connect
with stuff in the room.  That's about 2.7 times the individual
resonator length.  I can't wait to push this sytem outdoors and turn
it up to eleven! : )

rwstephens