[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

G-10 PS

Subject:
        G-10 PS
  Date:
        Fri, 4 Apr 1997 16:56:26 -0700 (MST)
  From:
        Chip Atkinson <chip-at-xig-dot-com>
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

One other thing I thought I would mention:

Tungsten carbide works just fine for machining G10.  In fact, I used a
saber saw to rough out the disk so my lathe could swing it.  It dulled
the
bit down to the useless stage and took a while to cut, but it did work
with the steel blade.

However, I initially tried an HSS bit in my lathe and dulled it
immediately.  Switched to carbide, and no trouble at all.

One other thing -- I machined the hubs completely flat (no visible run
out
on my dial indicator), attached the disk with the hub still chucked in,
and checked the run out at the edge of the disk.  It was about 20
thousandths off, which I had to true up before I felt comfortable using
it.

Chip

First Corollary of Taber's Second Law:
        Machines that perturb people often get murdered.
               -- Pat Taber