[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: glass vacume gaps

  Date:
        Sat, 5 Apr 1997 09:09:11 -0500 (EST)
  From:
        TimRaney-at-aol-dot-com
    To:
        tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

DavidF, Robert, ALL:

I've done some vacuum gap work and posted some notes on this before.
I've
used a demountable gap using aluminum or plexiglass plates and a small
Coleman lamp chimney as the vacuum vessel;  electrical feedthroughs are
sealed with epoxy or silicone sealant and standard hose barbs used for
connections to the pump.  The top and bottom plates (held together with
threaeded rod) are sealed to the glass envelope with silicone sealant or
vacuum wax (50% beeswax, 50% rosin).  You configure your gap so it fits
in
the chamber and there's plenty of room so it doesn't touch the glass
sides.
 I also suspect the lamp chimney is Pyrex.

This is a pretty "quick and dirty" setup for a proof of principle test
and
will not withstand the continued rigors of Tesla coil service.  It's a
good
way to start as you refine your design and solve the problems you will
encounter.    I've made smaller gaps from 5/8" O.D. glass tubing and
they
work.  However, I used brass end plugs with cooling fins and the
coefficient
of linear expansion for brass does not match soft glass and cracking
resulted.  Live and learn.

TIMOTHY RANEY, TCBOR