[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Twintastic first light

      Date:
           Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:41:22 -0400
      From:
           "Edward J. Wingate" <ewing7-at-frontiernet-dot-net>
        To:
           Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> > Hi R. W. Stephens, All,
> > Nice twin coil!  Nice sparks.  Awsome sinusoid spark!!
> > How does the streamer connection rate vary with
> > pulse frequency?
> >
> > Barry
> >
> >  ----------
>
> Barry,
>
> Thank's for the kind words.
>
> You are assuming that,  as a properly equipped Tesla coil experimenter I
> would have a rotary break with a variable speed motor.  And you would
> be correct!    Low break rates produced acceptable performance,
> but higher rates in the 600 BPS range gave me the longest and hottest
> connecting discharges for a given kVA power input level, all other
> factors being equal.  I don't like to exceed about 600-700 BPS
> because this is hard on very expensive capacitors (and even harder on
> cheaper ones).
>
> Ed Wingate's twin gives awesome performance at 120 BPS sychronous,
> but his system is physically much larger than mine, and can accept
> correspondingly  more input power.  After seeing my results with
> the little twin I'll wager he's building a variable speed rotary to try
> with
> his twin right now! : )
>
> rwstephens

Greetings Rob, Barry,

No need to build a variable speed rotary, because as a properly equipped
Tesla coil and rotary gap builder, I already have several on hand that
fill the bill. I will be trying more experiments with a variable speed
gap on the twin coil system as soon as time permits.

I am currently very busy building the base and primary for my new
magnifier driver #2. Driver #2 is 5" smaller in diameter (32") than my
first driver, consequently I could not get the high coupling factor (.5
to .55) I wanted for the new driver using the old primary. Rather than
rebuild the old primary I decided to go with a newer, slightly different
design.

Safe Coiling,

Ed Wingate