[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism

            Re: Opt. Qnch. update--loss of synergism
       Date:
            Thu, 10 Apr 1997 17:21:41 +1200
       From:
            "Malcolm Watts" <MALCOLM-at-directorate.wnp.ac.nz>
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

Hi John,
          I have to thank you so much for the excellent experiments
you are doing. This latest post really caught my eye and in
particular, the last bit:

<big snip>
> Adjusted sync-gap phase for more power input, now neon trans draws 11A
> at 240
> V, (2640 VA), multiple streamers are produced, and sparks reach 65"+.  I
> tried adding external ballast to this 15kV, 60ma neon trans, but it
> still
> draws a lot of power, and sparks are greatly weakened.  In general,
> quenching
> occurs on the second notch, but moves to the third notch when a streamer
> strikes a ground.

This all shows evidence that it takes a discharge to affect quenching
- i.e. the system is coupled *during* secondary discharges. More
interesting though is the shift of the quench when the discharge
becomes heavy. This is the first evidence I've seen outside my own
experiments that the lowered terminating impedance reflects back to
the primary as a higher feed impedance. I am extremely interested in
these results. I'll stick my neck out and hazard a guess that an even
greater primary surge impedance at this k would improve that quench
(or a lower k for the same primary).

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Malcolm