[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Stacked capacitor (fwd)

  Date:
        Sun, 13 Apr 97 05:59:13 UT
  From:
        "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:
        "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

I've been thinking about making a similar capacitor - but it seems to me
that
the insulating material can be placed in an "S" pattern between the
plates so
that there is no need for a border on two of the sides (let * represent
the
insulating dielectric):

                                                          *****
  --------------------------------------------------- *
 | *********************************************
 | *-----------------------------------------------------|
 | ********************************************   |
and so on.  I havent tried this yet - but it seems to me that for a flat
capacitor it should be an improvement.  Further, I've been thinking that
by
using copper plates you can solder bussbar to the plates giving them
superior
current capacity over an aluminum equivalent.  I haven't quite convinced
myself that I know how to make a good connection to aluminum short of
welding
another piece of aluminum to it.