[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Re: Don't(!!!) Try Th

       Date:
            Tue, 15 Apr 1997 17:07:50 GMT
       From:
            robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org (Robert Michaels)
         To:
            tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

T>The circuit is called a cascade voltage doubler , right ?
T>If this is what you mean, these are used in the triplers
T>in tv sets.
T>If I build one of these with 27 1uf caps  and 27 doides, from
T>a 220v supply I'd get 7500vdc on the output.
T>How much current can this supply ? can I use this
T>to power a tesla ? if so this makes things much simpler than using
T>an xf.

        The subject of the thread is "Don't try this."

        Sounds about right to me.  There are numerous reasons.

        The efficiency of such multipliers goes down as the
        number of stages goes up and it looks as if you are
        you are contemplating 33 stages!!

        Plugging such a device directly into the wall is inviting
        tragedy as doing so makes it hot to ground -- use an isolation
        transformer.

        These are pulse-operated devices.  The number of pulses per sec.
        to be obtained is inversely proportional to the number of
        stages.  With 33 stages(!) you will likely get a pulse
        every week or so. ( Well, it will be a little more frequently,
        but it will seem like a week - depends on the load, too).

        The capacitors used must to be able to withstand (more than)
        the voltage of the stage they are in.  (At the final stage
        you will need 7500-volt capacitors - more practically, they
        should be 12 - 15 Kv. [ Mfg'rs. traditionally
        play fast and loose with capacitor voltage specs.] ).

        Ditto, for the diodes.

        In addition to the diodes you will need resistors.  (Trust
        me).  The resistors in the upper stages must be high voltage
        types.  (The traditional small resistors used in electronics
        work are typically rated for 500-v. or less).

        The amount of current available from such a device is pro-
        proportional to the size of the capacitors.  The charge, in
        coulombs, on a capacitor is Q = C/V where C is in farads.
        The number of discharges per second gives the number of
        coulombs per second (assuming 100% discharge).  One coulomb
        per second = 1 ampere.

        Do you think we're getting a tad (several tads, actually)
        off the topic of Tesla coils?

        Do you think your scheme is a better deal than a $10 neon
        transformer?

                                        Shocked in - Detroit, USA

                                        Robert Michaels