[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Quenching & ring-down time

Subject:   Re: Quenching & ring-down time
  Date:    Thu, 17 Apr 1997 12:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
  From:    FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> Hello John:

> Noted your excellent research on quenching.  Was wondering if you noted
> any correlations between ring down time and dwell time as calculated by:

>  d / v     where d = electrode dia and v = electrode speed (in/sec)

> also if this data has any direct correlation with actual quench time.

> The difficult part in using d as defined above is that we don't always
> know exactly where the spark will strike as the electrode approaches and
> also where it stops.  This is a complex function as it relates to the
> effects of air turbulence in the vicinity of the electrodes.  This changes
> dramatically with changes in the rotor and electrode configuration.
> Best we can do is hope for data that applies
> to one specific design and perhaps extrapolate some key ideas to other
> designs.

> DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net

Hi DR. RESONANCE,

I didn't see any correlation between mechanical dwell time and actual
quench
time.  My actual quench time (gap firing duration) is often as short as
43uS,
while the mechanical dwell time of my gap is probably over 200uS (I
don't
remember exactly).  At first notch quenching, the primary circuit rings
down
until all the energy is trapped  in the secondary, and quenching occurs
at
that point, (while the primary is ringing down, the secondary is ringing
up).
 After the gap quenches, the secondary rings down free of primary
circuit
interaction.

I agree that there is indeed a question as to when the gap actually
fires.  I
think this may be a good area for research because it may be possible to
design the shape of the electrodes to assist the quenching action.  A
certain
electrode shape may be able to create a shock-wave that "blows out the
spark"
at just the right time when quenching is desired, but this is
speculation on
my part.

John Freau