[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: silicon oil in capacitors

Subject:  RE: (no subject) silicon oil in capacitors
  Date:   Sun, 20 Apr 97 15:57:31 UT
  From:   "William Noble" <William_B_Noble-at-msn-dot-com>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

the post brought up something I had been wondering about - the use of
DOT5
brake fluid, which is a light silocone oil (DOT-3 and 4 are glycol
based).
The oil is non-combustible, stable at VERY high temperatures, and
hydrophobic,
so it seems ideal.  I'ts also expensive, and typically a pretty color.
The
coloring may be a problem if the dye is conductive.  Some motorcycles
use
DOT5, in general cars don't because of cost (there was a lengthy series
of
articles a few years back in automotive restoration magazines about it
and
it's advantages, but that's way off thread here).  If it is potentially
suitable, it has the following advantages to us small scale guys:

1. fairly readily available in pints (and quarts)
2. not as sticky or messy as mineral oil
3. doesn't burn or eat paint.
4. if the coil doesn't work you can use it in your car (probably not
visa
versa, unless you don't stop a lot when you drive)
5. less viscous, very low surface tension - (but famous for air bubbles)

So, if this is plausible, what would be a good way of testing it?? I can
put
my 15KV transformer output leads into some and see how close they come
before
an arc develops - would that be a good test???

[Bill]  snip