[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "machine tool" wire?

Subject:       Re: "machine tool" wire?
       Date:   Sun, 20 Apr 1997 09:56:25 -0700
       From:   Skip Greiner <sgreiner-at-wwnet-dot-com>
         To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

> [snip]
> >My latest coil is 17.5" in diameter and 24" high. Its predecessor was
> >14" in diameter and 30" high. Both were wound with #16 machine tool wire
> >at 8 turns per inch. Therefore the first coil had 192 turns and the
> >earlier coil has 240 turns. They were purposely made to have the same
> >wire length. Hope this helps.
>
> Skip,
>
>         I have got to ask:  What is "machine tool" wire? You've
> mentioned it in all your posts, but for the life of me, I've no idea
> what it is.
>
>         Regards,
>
>         jim
>
>         BSEE    (but not a machinists;)

Hi Jim and All

Sorry. Machine tool wire or MTW as it is known in the trade is 600v pvc
plastic covered wire. Various wire sizes are available and are stranded.
It is generally used by machine tool people, industrial control panel
people and in some areas it is used for general plant wiring. It is
usually cheaper than any other wire and is usually available at
hamfests. The last time I bought, it cost me $5 US for 1000ft of 14ga,
brand new material.

Skip