[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: St. Elmo's Fire?

Subject:   Re: St. Elmo's Fire?
  Date:    Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:33:21 -0700
  From:    "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:    "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

St. Elmo's "fire" is a high voltage direct current discharge that
ancient
mariners noted coming off the crow's nest of tall ships mast especially
during times with a lot of culmulo nimbus (big black thunderclouds)
overhead.  It is a DC discharge, also sometimes called Trichel Pulses
which
occur from a HV terminal such as on a Wimshurst machine.  It can occur
as a
steady glow or intermittant pulses of HV direct current discharge.  It
is
called fire because it is usually rather quiet as compared to a
lightning
strike.

I noted it once while skiing in the mountains of Colorado -- it was
shooting off large rocks and discharging into the air about 4 feet ---
during the daytime!  Needless to say we vacated the area rather rapidly
and
a powerful thunderstorm soon followed in the same area we saw it.

Most of Tesla's work was with AC and RF currents although he did do some
interesting work with a Van de Graaff style generator using an air
blower
and some dust (flour) materials.

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net