[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Primary tube diameter

Subject:  Re: More rotary gap questions... (fwd)
  Date:   Tue, 22 Apr 1997 07:37:43 -0700
  From:   "DR.RESONANCE" <DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net>
    To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Hello All

Tom's points are well taken.  We use 1/4 in. ID tubing only on systems
running .02 MFD caps or smaller.  Larger systems with values above .02
0.1 should consider only 1/2 in. ID tubing.  Copper strap is fine for
smaller systems but should not be considered on large systems with
sparks
of 48 in. or longer as the sharp edges tend to produce easier ionization
of
the pri-sec coil area.  Copper tubings smaller radius of curvature and
lack
of sharp points help minimize these problems.

The larger copper tubing is also required to handle the relatively large
pulse currents produced.  We have measured these currents on a .06 MFD
cap
at over 2,200 peak Amperes.  Even though it's only there for a few
microseconds (or less) it is a very high value and really doesn't
"enjoy"
snaking its way thru stainless steel or other poor conductors of RF
(200-400 KHZ) currents.  Who said electrons don't think???

DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net