[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: cascade multiplier

Subject:  Re: cascade multiplier
  Date:  Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:42:33 +0300
  From:  Kenneth Aaron <kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com>
    To:  Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>To: Robert Michaels
>
>You don't really want DC in the plasma globe ball.  A 25-30 KHZ AC RF
>supply makes a good source to drive a plasma ball.  Resonance Research
>carries a complete RF driver on a circuit board with flyback that drives
>balls up to 14 in. dia. with good results.  This board operates from 120
>VAC input and provides 9-10 KV AC RF output with adjustable frequency
>sweep.  Cost is $60 and $5 for shipping.  Board is 4 x 6 inches and
>weights
>less than 1 lb with flyback aboard.  Output current is 2 ma full load
>short
>circuit.
>
>DR.RESONANCE-at-next-wave-dot-net
>

>> -> You mentioned in a pervious mail that you could provide more info
>> -> and schematics on a Cockroft-Walton multiplier.
>>
>> -> My plan is to use this multiplier circuit as the power supply for
>> -> a plasma globe about 12" in diameter.
>> -> The globe will be filled with heluim.
>>

>>         You'd must be prepared to do some kind of fast and fancy
>>         fandango if you expect to operate a plasma globe from a
>>         voltage multiplier.  Such provide dc and plasma globes
>>         require high-frequency =ac= at high voltage, such as you
>>         might get from ... ah, let me see now...what were those
>>         called ... er... oh yes, now I remember - a Tesla coil!!
>>
>>         Commercial plasma globes are powered by hi-voltage/high-
>>         frequency supplies more or less similar to those found in
>>         the CRT power circuits of TVs and video monitors.
>>

>> -> I am planning to connect the circuit direct to 220VAC from the
>> -> wall outlet with a 1 Amp fuse.
>>

>>         A voltage multiplier of the type you describe is a =suicide
>>         machine= if directly connected to the ac power lines.  Use
>>         an isolation transformer!
>>
>>                 Else - call Dr. Kvorkian - his methods are a lot
>>                 more gentle.
>>

>> -> If I do use this setup and connect it to the globe, can I touch the
>> -> glass safely ? I dont want to get fried :-)
>>

>>         You can touch the glass with complete safety if you haven't
>>         gone overboard with the power levels in high-frequency =ac=
>>         supply.  In fact, not only can you touch it, I specifically
>>         advise it:  plasma globes are a lot like tits in this

Ok, you've convinced me.
If I use those circuits that use a flyback for the HV, would they
work, I've seen the design with 2 2n3055 transistors that drive
the flyback, this design has been posted somewhere on the list before.
This circuit could give the HV I need , but what about the waveform,
this would give AC but in pulses, not sine wave.
Kenneth Aaron
E-mail : kennetha-at-geocities-dot-com
http://www.geocities-dot-com/SunsetStrip/8736/