[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

3 neons

   Date:  Wed, 23 Apr 1997 19:52:16 -0500 (CDT)
  From:   c604313-at-showme.missouri.edu
    To:   Tesla listserver <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

    Hello to everyone in Tesla land...

    Last week I bought three used neon transformers for a total of $50.
Two of them are 15/30's and one is a 15/60. I banked them up with a
15/30 that I already had at home and I'm getting closer to getting
this new coil off the ground. I'm just putting the finishing touches on
my forced air static gap and am still looking for a nice fat 20 amp
variac.

    This is what I'm planning:
    I'm using two 0.05 caps in an equidrive set up. With this type of
setup I am rather worried about strikes from the secondary to my
primary. If this ever occurs, then I'm going to more than likely end up
with one or two dead CP's. So I'm trying to make my primary as
unatractive to my secondary as possible by using a strike rail, with
a good rf ground, set
about two inches up and out from my flat primary. Also, I'm planning
on covering my primary with a sheet of plexiglass. I'm hoping this will
be enough.

    To protect my transformers, I'm setting my gap to no more than .25
inch and wont turn the variac up to more than 80% I'm looking for some
good ferrite cores to wrap two chokes upon and will also use a safety
gap. I may also just use neon transformer cores to wrap my chokes upon,
But am uncertain if these cores my run into saturation problems.

    Primary is made of 12 turns 3/8 inch ref. copper tubing spaced 0.25
inch apart in a flat spiral.
    Secondary is 6.25 X 24 inch pvc wrapped with 22 gauge 37 turns per
inch and coated with pollyurethane inside and out.
    Toroid is 7 X 24 inch aluminum dryer duct with two layers of duct
tape and a top layer of aluminum tape with two circular pieces of roof
flashing for the top and bottom.

    Criticisim is eagerly awaited especially concerning primary ind.
protection and transformer protection.

thanks,
     Bert S.

Q- How much do pole pigs cost???