[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Best Primary Coil

Subject:   Re: Best Primary Coil
  Date:    Thu, 24 Apr 1997 13:57:30 -0400 (EDT)
  From:    FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
    To:    tesla-at-pupman-dot-com

> Also, for tuning, it has always seemed to me that it would make more
> sense to tap *in* instead of *out* since the inner turns have less
inductance
> per turn that the outer turns, and so tapping *in* would give one greater
> control over the total inductance. Actually, I guess that it would make
> the MOST sense to be able to tap BOTH in and out. One could tap outwards
one
> turn too many and then begin to tap outwards from the inner turn to get
> the inductance just right.

> So much experimenting still to do!

> Thanks again, Gary, for sharing your experiments with us!

> Fr. Tom McGahee

Fr. Tom,

Wise comments as usual.  Have to try to tease out those universal
principles.
Your suggestion of tapping in, or in and out, could also be used to keep
the
coupling factor more constant without having to vary the pri to sec
height
relationship.  In some cases, tapping "in" may lead to primary to
secondary
arc-overs due to the autotransformer action of the unused inner turns.

I agree that the unshared data of one's work can often provide
invaluable
clues when viewed from another's vantage point.

So much experimenting to do.....I second that viewpoint.    :)

John Freau