[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Primary Coil Shape

Subject:       Re: Primary Coil Shape
       Date:   Fri, 25 Apr 1997 06:13:28 -0700
       From:   Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-com>
         To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

Tesla List wrote:

> Subject:  Primary Coil Shape
>   Date:   Thu, 24 Apr 1997 01:31:57 -0400
>   From:   "Lord Talimar" <lordtali-at-mill.tds-dot-net>
>     To:   "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
>
> I have been reading this list for quite a while now, and am getting
> ready
> to start building a new coil.  My first (and probably biggest) question
> so
> far is what shape of primary should I use as a beginning?  Also, I saw
> in
> one magazine (Popular Electronics?) while I was still in High School,
> that
> one made a TC with a square primary, flat rolled.  Would this work
> better
> or worse than a round flat and/or cylindrical wound coil?
>
> LT

LT,

Assuming adequate radial and vertical clearance between the primary and
secondary, and between turns on the primary, the only two things that
matter are the inductance of the primary and the coeffient of coupling
between the primary and secondary. For design purposes, it may be easier
to estimate the inductance of certain shapes easier than others, but the
actual shape of the primary is not important. Square, octagonal, oval,
polygonal, and round have all been used... and all work just fine.

-- Bert --