[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Variac

Subject:  RE: Variac
  Date:   Mon, 21 Apr 1997 10:12:36 -0400 (EDT)
  From:   Charles Brush <cfbrush-at-interport-dot-net>
    To:   Tesla List <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>

>Hi,
>
>I`m on my way of finishing a nice 900 watt Tesla coil, I`ve finished the
>cap, the RQ spark gap and cleaning up the neons, Im now looking for a
>good
>variac, there`s a store in Ohio wich sells surpluss electrical eq., I
>asked if they had any good 10 amp variacs, they returned me a list of
>the
>variacs they had:
>
>        For a new 18 amp 0-140v with knob and dial $185
>        For a new 10 amp with dial and plate $130
>        For a new 10 amp without dial and plate $105
>        For a used 10 amp wihtout dial and plate $ 85
>

>Are these prices fair, should I go for the 18 amp one, or does anyone
>know
>a cheaper mail-order place where to get this beasties, I know I can get
>them for less at ham festivals but there are none here in MX.

Those prices are high, even by catalog standards.  C&H (800 325 9465)
lists
a 20amp  120v General Radio unit for $125, and Fair Radio Sales (419 223
2196) lists a similarly rated Powerstat for $90.

As far as size goes, I'd suggest you get something a little larger than
your current needs might dictate.  Once you get really bitten by the bug
(if you haven't already!), you'll be glad to have a unit that can easily
handle more power.  So yes, I'd go for an 18 or 20amp one myself.

Zap!

Charles Brush
http://www.foundrygroup-dot-com/cbrush