[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HF sparks (current draw)

From: 	John H. Couture[SMTP:couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net]
Sent: 	Sunday, August 03, 1997 1:05 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: HF sparks (current draw)

At 09:06 PM 8/2/97 +0000, you wrote:

> [...]

  John F. -

   I have been testing neon transformers and you are right the nameplate
rating means very little. The actual output depends on the type of load both
resistive and reactive. If you use a .16 uf instead of a .04 uf would your
TC neon draw more current?  I have found this is true with a 7500 V, 30 ma
neon I tested. However, I was not using a TC, I was using only a .16 uf cap.
The .16 uf was not equal to the leakage reactance.  The voltage was 6600
with 36.5 ma giving 241 volt amps. The input was only 96 volt amps, a great
pseudo free energy device. Anyone can set up this more output than input
device to fool their friends. But you have to use a capacitor load. The
wattage (energy loss), however, is almost unreadable and  the input wattage
is always greater than the output.

  How did you measure the 2600 watts input? The 2600 watts would give
2600/15000 =  173 ma.  I would think this would burn up the 60 ma winding
either as watts or volt amps.  However, the output could be 15000 x 60 ma or
900 watts without harming the neon secondary. This would give 900/2600 =
34.6 % efficiency, a reasonable value for this size Tesla coil.

  John Couture