[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE- Re: Surface Sparks =

From: 	Robert Michaels[SMTP:robert.michaels-at-online.sme-dot-org]
Sent: 	Monday, August 04, 1997 4:38 PM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	RE- Re: Surface Sparks =

        Point made, and point taken.  Acrylic plastic certainly melts
        easily.  A workaround is to use urea-formaldehyde plastic
        ("Formica"; "Marlite") or melamine-formaldehyde as they are
        thermosets.  Glass is of course superior to either of these.

                (In my dreams!) I've used polished black marble
                and have wondered what effect would be produced
                using the types of marble which have metallic
                threads or veins running thruout ?!!

        As stated, this apparatus is best used with smallish coils,

                Some of the mega-coils described in This List
                would likely cause the whole damn thing to
                to vanish in a flash and a puff of smoke !

        and if such are vacuum-tube-driven, the display may be run
        for hours at a time (or until meltdown - whichever comes
        first).  Such makes a wonderful room decoration (for a rec-
        reation room or a Tesla/Hi-V theme party).

        A very ambitious project is to cover the plastic (or glass)
        with photographic paper (as used for contact prints).
        When the coil is run very briefly and the paper then developed,
        a permanent record is left of the spark traces.  The developed
        prints may be re-pasted onto the plastic (or glass) of the
        apparatus.  In this way, the effect may be enjoyed (to a
        degree) even with the power off.