[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: good results with new coil

From: 	Jason Judd[SMTP:jason.judd-at-anu.edu.au]
Sent: 	Tuesday, August 05, 1997 12:32 AM
To: 	Tesla List
Subject: 	Re: good results with new coil

<SNIP>

> 18" is pretty good from a 10Kv 30Ma. Sounds like your coil is a good
> performer.
> Be a bit carefull putting 15Kv across your 1mm Cap. Richard Quick and
> co. recommend around 2mm for this voltage.
>
> Also try a bit of compressed air on your gap, even if its just a
muffin
> fan or even better, an old vacuum cleaner motor. They have stacks of
> them at the revolve and it did wonders for my coil.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peter E.

	Sounds like I am in for trouble with my cap. I have successfully run
it at 15KV now, but I am only game to run it for about 5 seconds at a
time. There is only 15MM between the flashing and edge of the poly.
When I was building it I thought that oil would sort out the problem as
I have made another dry fired cap with only about 20MM to the edges and
have had no problems even at 15Kv. It was made from 4MM perspex though
( and not rolled) :)

What is the difference in losses between polyethylene and perspex does
anyone know ? If my cap does blow I think that I will just go back to
flat stacked perspex plates.

Also I did try a muffin fan and found at  low powers levels it made the
sparks longer and fatter, but when I started to raise the power level
the fan seemed less effective.

Cheers

Jason