[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: my first coil completed

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Saturday, August 09, 1997 7:18 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: my first coil completed

<< I am happy to say that my first coil has been completed!  Here are the
specs :

> RF Chokes (x2) -- 2 inch PVC 8, 8 inches long, AWG #24
> Primary - helical, 15 turns AWG #12
> Secondary - 1000 turns, AWG #24
> input - 9kv, 30ma neon (magnetek)
> capacitors - 9 SW caps-yeah, I know, :(
> spark gap - single gap :(
> Ground - 8 feet of copper rodding

> So far I am only getting alot of corona around the toroid, and no sparks.
> Without
> the toroid, the wire sparks 3-6 inches.  I am able to draw 6 inch sparks
> continuously
> with a grounded source nearby.  After I make a better spark gap, and some
better
> caps, what is the maximum output I can expect to get out of this coil?

Corr,

Congratulations on the construction of your first Tesla coil.

A 12kV, 30ma transformer can produce 42" sparks, so I imagine that
a 9kV, 30ma could produce 37" sparks in an optimized design.  A 4"
by 17" toroid should be about right.

John Freau