[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: static spark gap was coil size

From: 	FutureT-at-aol-dot-com[SMTP:FutureT-at-aol-dot-com]
Sent: 	Tuesday, August 26, 1997 5:10 AM
To: 	tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: 	Re: static spark gap was coil size

<< John,

>I hear you talking about a static spark gap being almost as good as your
> sync rotary. Can you give me your static spark gap receipe. I run a 6" x
> 21.5 inch coil with 14nF , 15Kv 60MA and an 8 static gap system. I have
> only achieved 30" sparks so far

> Also do you use any protection other than a saftey gap with your neons ?

> Thanks again

> Jason

Jason,

Unfortunately, my static gap wasn't that good in the test that I did,
the coil gave 36" sparks, compared with 42" with the sync gap, but
the spark shortened after a few seconds using the static gap because
I wasn't using any forced air quenching at the time.  But it was clear
to me that the potential for good performance was there if I would
have taken the time and trouble to improve the gap.   (This was
all using a 12kV, 30ma trannie, but it was a different trannie.
The best spark I remember getting using a 15kV, 60ma
trannie with static gap was 48", vs. 65" for the sync-gap, but
again, the
static gap had no forced air, and had only 4 sections.)  Later, I
built better air quenched static gaps, but never did a direct
comparison with the sync gap on the same TC, at that power level.

DR RESONANCE has reported recently that he has seen a 10%
improvement when using a sync gap compared with a static gap.

Bottom line is; others on the list probably have better recipes for
static gaps than I have.  I haven't really used static gaps all that
much.  When I did use forced air gaps, they were of the type
recommended by Richard Hull of the TCBOR.  Sorry I can't be
of more help in that area.

John Freau